In an interview with state news agency PAP, Jarosław Kaczyński said that the planned Cabinet changes would be made “in September or no later than the start of October.”
He added, as quoted on Wednesday: “This is a plan that includes a far-reaching reduction in the number of ministries and a merger of various departments so that they are overseen by a single minister.”
He elaborated that the number of government ministries would be cut to “around 12,” from 20 at the moment.
Kaczyński, who heads Poland’s ruling conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party, did not name any Cabinet ministers who could be replaced.
Kaczyński has previously said that Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki will keep his job as head of government.
“The prime minister will stay on, but the government will be restructured so as to eliminate a situation in which some decisions have to go through several different ministries,” Kaczyński told public broadcaster Polish Radio last month.
He indicated at the time that the bottom line was to make the decision-making process within the government less "dispersed" and more efficient.
Kaczyński’s party last fall secured a second term in power, together with two smaller right-wing groupings, in the wake of parliamentary elections.
Meanwhile, the country’s conservative President Andrzej Duda, an ally of the government, last month won a runoff vote and was re-elected for another five years as head of state.