The latest deaths in Poland’s coronavirus outbreak are 412 people with pre-existing medical conditions and 132 who died directly because of COVID-19, the Polish health ministry said in a tweet.
Of the new cases confirmed, the most – 1,722– were in the central region of Mazowieckie, which contains the national capital Warsaw.
A total of 815,356 people have now recovered from the disease in Poland, the health ministry added.
On November 25, officials reported a record 674 new deaths linked to the coronavirus.
On November 7 the Polish health ministry reported 27,875 new single-day cases, the most since the pandemic hit the country in early March.
60 million doses
Poland has reserved and bought over 60 million doses of coronavirus vaccines from six leading world producers, Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki announced on Tuesday.
The head of the prime minister’s office, Michał Dworczyk, said that vaccinations would start in January, but the exact date depended on the producers.
Second wave hits hard
Tougher measures to battle COVID-19 came into effect across Poland last month following a surge in cases amid a second wave of the pandemic.
Hotels are only able to take in guests on business trips. Theatres, cinemas, museums and galleries have been told to close temporarily.
The government has announced that restaurants, cinemas, theaters and gyms will remain closed until at least December 27.
Schools and universities throughout the country have returned to distance learning.
Under restrictions announced in October, children under 16 are only allowed to leave their homes under the supervision of an adult between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Meanwhile, pubs, restaurants and cafes are only allowed to provide take-aways and delivery orders.
Gatherings of more than five people have been forbidden, though people who live or work together are exempt from the rule.