Prime Minister Donald Tusk announced the establishment of the team in early February.
It is tasked with investigating any Polish links in the US-based sex trafficking case involving the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Żurek is heading the team in coordination with Interior Minister Marcin Kierwiński and Tomasz Siemoniak, the minister overseeing Poland’s security services.
Speaking at a news conference on Thursday, Żurek said the group had held a brainstorming session earlier in the day to map out its work.
He added that officials from several ministries are involved and that, in addition to an analytical team, an investigative team composed of prosecutors and security officials may also be formed.
Poland plans to ask US authorities for access to classified documents in the case to determine whether any human trafficking activities took place in Poland, whether crimes involving minors were committed and who may have been responsible, Żurek said.
In an interview with broadcaster Radio Zet on Wednesday, he said the analytical team would review documents already available publicly, while the investigative team would have the authority to open proceedings, conduct interviews and request additional materials from the US Department of Justice under international legal assistance procedures.
He added that the two teams would eventually work together.
In late January, the US Department of Justice released about 3 million pages of documents from Epstein’s case files.
The documents include references to Poland.
Days later, Tusk announced the establishment of the team and said prosecutors and security services would be asked to conduct a thorough review of all available material.
(gs)
Source: IAR, PAP