The indictment against the suspect, named only as Wiktor Ź. under Polish privacy laws, was sent to the District Court in the north-central city of Bydgoszcz, said Jacek Dobrzyński, spokesman for the government minister coordinating Poland's security services.
Prosecutors allege the man "declared readiness to cooperate and acted on behalf of Russian intelligence."
“Wiktor Ź. collected and transmitted via online messengers information concerning, among other things, the operation of facilities of key importance to Poland’s defense,” Dobrzyński wrote, adding that disclosure could have harmed national security.
The National Public Prosecutor’s Office said the investigation found he "gathered and passed information on the Bydgoszcz airport, Military Aviation Works, Nitro-Chem Chemical Plant, and the NATO Joint Force Training Centre."
The alleged activity spanned from February 28, 2024 to April 30, 2025.
Authorities said the suspect was detained by the Polish Internal Security Agency (ABW) on June 4 last year and placed in pretrial detention, which remains in effect.
The charge carries a potential sentence of at least eight years in prison or life imprisonment, Polish state news agency PAP reported.
(jh/gs)
Source: PAP, gov.pl