English Section

Britain's former Prince Andrew arrested over ties to Jeffrey Epstein: BBC

19.02.2026 11:45
Police have arrested Britain's former Prince Andrew, the younger brother of King Charles III, on suspicion of misconduct in public office amid allegations he sent confidential government documents to the late US financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, the BBC reported on Thursday.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
Andrew Mountbatten-WindsorPhoto: EPA/NEIL HALL

"Thames Valley Police have opened an investigation into an offence of misconduct in public office," the force said in a statement on X.

"A man in his sixties from Norfolk has been arrested and remains in police custody," the statement said, without identifying the suspect.

Earlier this month, police said they were assessing allegations that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor had passed documents to Epstein, according to files recently released by the US government, the Reuters news agency reported.

British newspapers reported that six unmarked police cars and around eight plainclothes officers arrived on Thursday at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England, where Mountbatten-Windsor lives.

Andrew, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II, was stripped of his title as prince in October during the fallout from an earlier trove of Epstein files released by the US Department of Justice, according to broadcaster CNN.

He has denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein and previously said he regretted their friendship, according to Reuters.

There was no immediate comment from Buckingham Palace.

Poland’s Justice Minister and Prosecutor-General Waldemar Żurek said last week that a government-appointed team had begun examining possible Polish links to the Epstein case.

Prime Minister Donald Tusk announced the establishment of the team in early February.

The Polish team is tasked with investigating any potential connections in Poland to the US-based sex trafficking case involving Epstein.

It is led by Żurek in coordination with Interior Minister Marcin Kierwiński and Tomasz Siemoniak, the minister overseeing Poland’s security services.

(gs)

Source: BBC, Reuters, CNN, IAR, PAP