English Section

Poland vows to bring ex-justice minister to trial amid US visa questions

19.05.2026 14:40
Poland's justice minister has pledged to do everything possible to bring his right-wing predecessor Zbigniew Ziobro before a Polish court, as Warsaw awaits an explanation from Washington over how the fugitive politician entered the United States.
Audio
Zbigniew Ziobro at his swearing-in as justice minister at the Presidential Palace in Warsaw, November 2019.
Zbigniew Ziobro at his swearing-in as justice minister at the Presidential Palace in Warsaw, November 2019.Photo: REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/File Photo

Waldemar Żurek told public news broadcaster TVP Info on Tuesday that prosecutors would work to "dispel doubts" over claims that Ziobro, now an opposition lawmaker, was being politically persecuted, insisting the case was criminal in nature.

Żurek said he had received news of Ziobro's arrival in the United States "with great surprise."

"If he has indeed been granted some special status, I would like our ally to talk to us about it," he added.

Żurek told TVP Info he wanted American partners to see the evidence gathered against Ziobro.

Deputy Justice Minister Arkadiusz Myrcha, speaking on public broadcaster Polish Radio 3, said Ziobro's actions were "typical of the most wanted, pursued criminals."

Deputy Foreign Minister Ignacy Niemczycki said Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski was in ongoing contact with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on the issue, stressing that the charges against Ziobro were "purely criminal, not political."

The visa question

The comments came after the Reuters news agency reported on Monday that US Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau had instructed senior State Department officials to have the American embassy in Budapest issue Ziobro a visa.

According to Reuters' sources, Landau, the number two US diplomat, believed Ziobro was being unjustly prosecuted and cited "national security" concerns to justify the urgency.

One source said Ziobro received a journalist visa.

The State Department declined to comment, citing the confidentiality of visa records.

Poland's foreign ministry sent a diplomatic note to the US embassy in Warsaw on May 12 requesting the legal basis for Ziobro's entry.

Warsaw says it has yet to receive a response.

Reuters' sources said they were unaware of any direct involvement by US President Donald Trump in the decision.

Reuters said it could not determine what role, if any, Secretary of State Marco Rubio played.

From Warsaw to Budapest to Washington

Ziobro, a former justice minister and prosecutor-general, is suspected of irregularities linked to the Justice Fund, a state programme aimed at supporting crime victims.

He faces 26 charges, including allegedly leading an organised crime group when his right-wing Law and Justice (PiS) party was in power until 2023.

Polish lawmakers stripped him of parliamentary immunity in November.

After evading arrest in Poland, Ziobro spent several months in Hungary, where he was granted international protection under then-Prime Minister Viktor Orbán.

He announced on May 10 that he was in the United States – a day after Hungary's new government under Péter Magyar was sworn in.

Magyar had previously said he would move to extradite Ziobro if his party won the election.

Ziobro insisted he did not flee Poland and said he was travelling on documentation granted alongside the asylum he received in Hungary.

He has been described as a political commentator for right-wing broadcaster TV Republika.

(ał/gs)

Source: PAP

Click on the audio player above for a report by Michał Owczarek.