English Section

US commitment to Poland 'unchanged,' defence minister says after call with Hegseth

19.05.2026 20:30
The United States remains committed to its military presence in Poland, the Polish defence minister said on Tuesday after a call with US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, seeking to ease concerns over reports that Washington had cancelled a planned troop deployment.
US Army soldiers
US Army soldiersPhoto: PAP/EPA/AHMED MARDNLI

The Pentagon has halted plans to deploy 4,000 US-based troops to Poland, according to reports, prompting the Polish government to reassure the public that ties with its key security ally remain strong.

“The US Secretary of War confirmed that the United States’ commitment to Poland’s defence and security remains unchanged,” Polish Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz wrote on X after the call.

"Our military relations are strong and were clearly reaffirmed today," he said. "During our conversation, I heard repeatedly that Poland is a model ally and can fully count on the United States."

Kosiniak-Kamysz added that a broader "process of redeploying US military forces and assets in Europe is underway," but stressed that "no decision has been made to reduce US military capabilities in Poland."

"The decisions being made are in no way aimed at our strategic partnership," he continued. "The Pentagon is currently preparing a new plan for the deployment of its forces throughout Europe."

Kosiniak-Kamysz said he and Hegseth agreed to "continue cooperation on strengthening Poland’s security and the ultimate model for the US military presence in Poland."

Poland, a NATO member since 1999, views its alliance with the United States as a key pillar of national security amid Russia’s ongoing war in neighbouring Ukraine.

Kosiniak-Kamysz, who also serves as a deputy prime minister, told reporters last week that talks were continuing on increasing, rather than reducing, the number and operational capabilities of US forces stationed in Poland.

"The number of American soldiers in Poland is not decreasing," he said at the time.

His comments came after US media reported that the planned rotation of 4,000 soldiers to Poland had been cancelled.

Kosiniak-Kamysz said last Thursday that Europe must take greater responsibility for its own security through higher spending and stronger military cooperation.

He added, however, that US nuclear deterrence and the American presence on NATO’s eastern flank remained essential for Europe’s security.

(gs)

Source: IAR, PAP, Reuters