English Section

Fugitive Polish ex-minister flew to US from Milan, prosecutors say

20.05.2026 19:30
Fugitive former Polish Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro, who faces charges over the alleged misuse of public funds, fled to the United States earlier this month on a flight departing from Milan in northern Italy, Polish prosecutors said on Wednesday.
Przemysław Nowak, spokesman for Polands National Public Prosecutors Office.
Przemysław Nowak, spokesman for Poland's National Public Prosecutor's Office.Photo: PAP/Leszek Szymański

The Reuters news agency reported this week, citing three people familiar with the matter, that US Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau instructed senior State Department officials to facilitate and approve a visa for Ziobro, enabling him to travel from Hungary to the United States.

"For several days now we have had official information that the suspect, Zbigniew Ziobro, left Europe on May 9 and flew from Milan to New York by plane," Przemysław Nowak, a spokesman for the National Public Prosecutor's Office, told reporters.

Zbigniew Ziobro Zbigniew Ziobro. Photo: Art Service/PAP

Nowak said Ziobro travelled on a foreign media journalist visa.

After arriving in the United States, Ziobro announced that he would work as a correspondent for right-wing Polish broadcaster TV Republika.

Polish authorities are seeking to prosecute Ziobro, the architect of a judicial overhaul that the European Union said undermined the rule of law when the conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party was in power from 2015 to 2023.

Ziobro faces 26 charges linked mainly to the alleged misuse of money from a crime victims' fund for political gain.

He has denied wrongdoing, saying he is the target of a politically motivated campaign by Poland’s pro-European Union government.

(gs)

Sources: TVP Info, Reuters, IAR, PAP