English Section

Poland to seek clarification from US over troop rotation halt, official says

18.05.2026 10:20
A Polish deputy defence minister has described the Pentagon's decision to cancel the planned rotation of 4,000 US troops to Poland as an "incident" that Warsaw intends to resolve through talks this week.
Polish Deputy Defence Minister Paweł Zalewski.
Polish Deputy Defence Minister Paweł Zalewski.Photo: PAP/Adam Warżawa

Paweł Zalewski told private radio station TOK FM on Monday that the move had come as a surprise, saying both sides had until now operated with full transparency and given each other adequate notice of military decisions.

He said the manner in which the decision was made appeared to have been rushed through the Pentagon.

Zalewski added, however, that it should not be taken as a reflection of the broader US-Polish relationship.

"We are treating this as an incident, which we will be clarifying this week," he said.

Zalewski noted that Washington had previously signalled it intended to reduce its forces in Germany – not Poland – making the latest move all the more unexpected.

A series of high-level meetings are planned for later this week.

Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz is due to meet the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Dan Caine, on Wednesday, while Poland's chief of general staff, Gen. Wiesław Kukuła, will meet the commander of US and NATO forces in Europe, General Alexus Grynkewicz, a day earlier.

Zalewski himself is also travelling to Washington this week.

The Reuters news agency reported on Friday, citing two anonymous US officials, that the Pentagon had cancelled the planned rotational deployment.

Broadcaster CNN subsequently said the decision was part of a broader effort by US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to reduce American troop numbers in Europe.

US Army General Christopher LaNeve told the House of Representatives last week that his forces had received instructions to reduce their presence and concluded "it made the most sense for that brigade to not do its deployment in theater."

Poland's National Security Bureau (BBN) said over the weekend that the changes appeared linked to the planned withdrawal of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment from Vilseck, Germany, and suggested that unit could replace part of the armoured brigade group previously earmarked for Poland.

The BBN also noted the absence of a clear proposal to amend the 2020 Enhanced Defence Cooperation Agreement, which governs US force deployments in Poland.

Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Friday the US decisions were "logistical in nature" and would not directly affect Poland's security or deterrence capabilities.

Kosiniak-Kamysz said Poland would "not lose out" and could even gain a permanent rather than rotational US presence, adding that Warsaw held "the strongest possible declaration" on the matter from the US president.

(ał/gs)

Source: PAP