The announcement from the Poland-based travel agency came after it earlier this week insisted it had been unaffected by the sudden failure of the UK travel company of which it was part.
Thomas Cook, one of the world's oldest travel firms, declared bankruptcy on Monday, leaving an estimated 500,000 tourists stranded around the globe. Several subsidiary companies have also stopped trading.
Neckermann Polska said on Wednesday it had submitted a declaration of insolvency to authorities in Poland’s central Mazowieckie province and that it would file a bankruptcy case to a district court in Warsaw in the next few days.
In response to the news, Poland’s foreign ministry pledged consular help and launched a special hotline for Polish tourists abroad.
Around 3,600 Polish tourists were abroad on trips through Neckermann Polska, most of them in Spain, Turkey, Tunisia and the Dominican Republic, Deputy Foreign Minister Szymon Szynkowski vel Sęk told reporters at a news conference in Warsaw on Wednesday.
Source: IAR, TVP Info