In a letter to Vincent Nichols, President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, Polish Archbishop Stanisław Gądecki said that the comatose man has been “sentenced to death by starvation”, state news agency PAP reported.
The man fell into a coma after suffering permanent brain damage following a cardiac arrest in November, PAP quoted the Plymouth hospital as saying.
Last month, a court ruling allowed the hospital to cut off the man’s life support after his wife said he would not want to be a burden and should be allowed to die, according to PAP.
Meanwhile, the man’s mother and sister disagreed and said that, because of his Catholic beliefs, he would not have wanted his life support disconnected, PAP reported.
The news agency added that the Polish president’s chief of staff, Krzysztof Szczerski, discussed the issue with Britain’s ambassador to Poland, Anna Clunes, on Monday.
“It was a difficult conversation. I have also spoken with the Polish ambassador to London, and I am in constant contact with Polish consuls who are on site in Plymouth”, Szczerski tweeted on Monday.