The news of the Kremlin’s plan was first reported by Britain’s Financial Times newspaper, according to Euromaidan Press.
A Ukrainian military adviser told the FT that he had obtained "very solid intelligence of intent" by Russia to launch a new offensive, The Telegraph reported.
An imminent large-scale assault would allow Russia to strike ahead of the delivery of Western tanks to Ukraine, officials in Kyiv said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered his army to seize all of Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region, made up of the Donetsk and Luhansk provinces, by March, Andriy Chernyak, an official in Ukraine’s military intelligence, stated last week, according to The Telegraph.
A Ukrainian military adviser also told the FT that the Russian offensive would likely be led by elite units, “real mechanised brigades… strengthened the airborne and marine units. These are not bus drivers and school teachers,” as reported by Euromaidan Press.
'The occupiers want to do something symbolic in February': Zelensky
On Sunday night, Volodymr Zelensky, the Ukrainian president, said: “There are already many reports that the occupiers want to do something symbolic in February. To try to avenge their last year's defeats.”
He added: “We see this increased pressure in various areas of the frontline, as well as pressure in the information field.”
Monday is day 348 of Russia’s war against Ukraine.
Source: PAP, Euromaidan Press, The Telegraph, president.gov.ua