Speaking to private broadcaster TVN24 on Friday, Ambassador Vasyl Bodnar dismissed Russian President Vladimir Putin’s latest remarks, made during a visit to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, that Moscow has no intention of attacking Europe, calling them a repetition of "lies and demands" issued since the start of the war.
Bodnar pointed to Thursday’s flights of Russian Tu-22 bombers over the Baltic Sea, close to Poland’s borders, as a "clear signal" of continued threat.
"They take off from the same airfield used to bomb Ukraine. Is that not a physical threat? It is," he said.
"It is difficult to say whether Putin would decide to attack Europe, but as long as we continue to defend ourselves, Europe remains safe. The best response to this question is to support Ukraine," Bodnar emphasised.
Asked whether Ukrainians could accept a peace deal involving the loss of territory, Bodnar said no government in Kyiv would agree to surrender constitutionally recognised regions.
"Crimea and Donbas are Ukrainian territories. Every president and government has a duty to protect them," he said.
He noted, however, that Ukrainian society might accept a ceasefire along the current line of contact, provided unresolved issues were handled diplomatically.
Bodnar also said a previously reported 28-point peace framework "no longer exists", but that negotiators reached partial agreement – on 19 points – during talks last weekend.
The key challenge now, he stressed, is forging a joint position between Ukraine, Europe and the United States before presenting anything to Moscow.
The ambassador did not rule out a meeting between President Volodymyr Zelensky and US President Donald Trump, expected to hold significant talks with Kyiv in the coming week.
He said the timing would depend on progress made by the negotiating teams.
"We are ready to talk with the American side 24 hours a day, seven days a week," Bodnar said.
(ał)
Source: tvn24.pl