"This decision was the result of a comprehensive, multilayered process focused on U.S. force posture in Europe", Parnell said, adding that the final disposition of forces will be based on "further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies' own ability to contribute forces toward Europe's defense".
Parnell said the move is designed to advance President Trump's America First agenda, including by "incentivizing and enabling our NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe's conventional defense". He added that Secretary Hegseth had spoken with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz and that the Pentagon would remain in close contact with Warsaw "to ensure that the United States retains a strong military presence in Poland".
"Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself. Other NATO allies should follow suit", Parnell said.
The statement is the clearest official explanation yet following five days of confusion over reports that the Pentagon had abruptly halted a planned rotation of an armored brigade from Texas to Poland.
In his own statement after speaking with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Kosiniak-Kamysz said Tuesday that "no decision to reduce the capabilities of U.S. forces in Poland has been made" and that Hegseth confirmed "Poland can count on the United States".
Vice President J.D. Vance also said Tuesday that the halt was "only a delay in the rotation" and that no final decision on the disposition of the troops had been taken.
(jh)
Source: PAP