English Section

Russia strikes Ukraine's Odesa, Dnipro, targeting energy infrastructure

17.02.2026 13:00
Russia carried out a massive strike on Ukraine overnight into Tuesday, hitting energy infrastructrure with drones and missiles.
Russia pummelled Ukraines power grid in its latest massive assault overnight into Tuesday.
Russia pummelled Ukraine's power grid in its latest massive assault overnight into Tuesday.Photo: Wikimedia Commons

At least three civilians were injured as Russia struck Odesa, Dnipro and the Lviv region, as well as a heat and power plant in Burshtyn, in the Ivano-Frankivsk region, authorities said.

Odesa came under especially intense bombardment, with air alert called six times during the night, Polish state news agency PAP reported. 

"After a night attack we know about three injured men aged 62 and 65," said the head of the Odesa military administration, Serhiy Lysak.

"One of the men is in a difficult condition," he added.

One more person, a woman, was treated on the ground, Lysak said.

Meanwhile, private energy provider DTEK said its facilities in Odesa had been "damaged extremely seriously."

DTEK said repairs would "take a long time" before the damaged equipment is back in action.

In the eastern city of Dnipro, the Russian attack damaged the facilities of a private company, as well as administrative buildings and cars.

Further destruction was reported in the central city of Kryvyi Rih.

In Burshtyn, an attack on an important heat and power plant has left residential areas without heat and heated water, according to officials.

Ukraine's air force has said the overnight Russian attack involved four Iskander-20 ballistic missiles, 20 cruise missiles fired by aircraft, four Iskander-K cruise missiles, a Ch-59/69 cruise missile and 396 drones.

The air force said it had shot down 25 missiles and 367 unmanned aerial vehicles. 

Poland's army said on Tuesday morning that in response to the activity of long-range Russian aircraft, which were carrying out strikes on Ukraine, military aircraft were scrambled in Polish airspace.

Also, the operation of civilian airports in Rzeszów and Lublin, eastern Poland, was temporarily suspended.

Tuesday's attack came just hours before the next round of US-backed trilateral talks on ending the war take place in Geneva, Switzerland.

Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said the overnight assault showed "the extent to which Russia disregards peace efforts."

Sybiha wrote on the X platform: "Moscow only understands the language of pressure. It will not take diplomacy seriously if it is not backed by strength."

He added: "New sanctions packages are critical. Blocking shadow fleet. Maritime services ban. Entry ban for participants of Russian aggression. Only our unity and strength will bring an end to this war."

Meanwhile, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky took to social media, calling on partners to respond to Russia's latest assault.

Zelensky wrote: "Partners must respond to all these strikes against life. Russia must be held to account for its aggression. Our diplomacy will be more effective if there is justice and strength. Strength of pressure on the Russian Federation – sanctions pressure and steady, rapid support for the Ukrainian army and our air defense."

He added: "For peace to be real and just, action must target the sole source of this aggression – because it is Moscow that continues the killings, massive attacks, and assaults."

(pm/gs)

Source: PAP