English Section

Ukraine's former energy minister charged in $100m corruption case

16.02.2026 12:00
Ukraine's former energy minister Herman Halushchenko has been charged with money laundering and participation in a criminal organisation in connection with a corruption scandal in the country's energy sector codenamed "Midas".
Ukraines former energy minister Herman Halushchenko in 2022.
Ukraine's former energy minister Herman Halushchenko in 2022.Photo: Kmu.gov.ua, CC BY 4.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

He was detained on Sunday while attempting to leave Ukraine at the Polish border.

The Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office (SAP) said on Monday that investigators from the National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) had brought new charges against Halushchenko, who served as Ukraine's energy minister from 2021 to 2025.

According to SAP, in 2021 – when Halushchenko took up his ministerial post – a fund was registered on the Caribbean island of Anguilla at the initiative of members of a criminal organisation.

The fund was designed to attract around USD 100 million in "investments", with Halushchenko's family among the "investors".

Prosecutors said materials obtained in Ukraine and through international cooperation indicated that during his time in office, the criminal organisation received over USD 112 million in cash from illegal activity in the energy sector.

The money was channelled through a trusted intermediary known as "Roket".

The funds were laundered through various financial instruments, particularly cryptocurrency and "investments" in the fund.

Investigators found that over USD 7.4 million was transferred to the fund's accounts, which were controlled by the suspect's family.

Additionally, more than CHF 1.3 million and EUR 2.4 million were paid out in cash or transferred directly to the family in Switzerland.

SAP said part of these funds paid for the education of the suspect's children at prestigious Swiss institutions and were deposited in accounts belonging to his former wife.

Energy corruption scandal

In November last year, NABU and SAP uncovered an extensive corruption scheme in Ukraine's energy sector.

Investigators found that the participants were taking bribes of 10–15 percent of contract values from companies working with Energoatom, the state-owned nuclear power operator.

Five people were detained and seven others charged in the "Midas" investigation, which involves businessman Tymur Mindich, an associate of President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Mindich, who is abroad, is believed to be the scheme's organiser.

(ał)

Source: PAP