Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani and Sports Minister Andrea Abodi urged the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) to reconsider its stance, saying the move contradicts the Olympic spirit in light of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the Reuters news agency reported.
Russia and its ally Belarus, which Moscow used as a staging ground for its 2022 invasion of Ukraine, were barred from Paralympic competition after the full-scale invasion. They regained full rights following a vote by IPC members last year.
A limited number of Russian and Belarusian athletes have been competing as neutral independents without flags or anthems at the ongoing Winter Olympics, while the countries’ Olympic committees remain sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee.
Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said on Wednesday that allowing Russian and Belarusian competitors to take part under their national symbols at the Milan-Cortina Winter Paralympics was “morally and politically” wrong.
Sybiha said he had instructed Ukrainian ambassadors to urge authorities in their host countries not to attend the opening ceremony "if this disgraceful decision is not reversed."
Poland’s sports ministry said on Wednesday that its representatives would not attend the opening ceremony after Russian and Belarusian athletes were permitted to compete under their national flags and anthems.
The ministry said participation by athletes from the two countries using their national symbols was "absolutely unacceptable" amid Russia’s ongoing aggression in Ukraine.
The Winter Paralympics run from March 6 to 15.
Poland is set to send a team of more than a dozen athletes.
Ukraine's sports minister said Ukrainian officials would boycott the Games over the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes, although Ukrainian competitors would still take part, according to Reuters.
(gs)
Source: Reuters, IAR, PAP
Click on the audio player above for a report by Marcin Matuszewski.