The strike happened on Saturday as part of Russia’s aerial attacks that targeted critical infrastructure across Ukraine, including in the cities Kyiv, Kharkiv, Vinnytsia and Lviv.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky said of the situation in Dnipro on Sunday night: “Dozens of people were rescued from the rubble, including six children. We are fighting for every person! The rescue operation will last as long as there is even the slightest chance to save lives.”
30 dead, more than 30 in hospital, 30-40 trapped under debris
Speaking in a video address to the nation, Zelensky added: “Currently, the list of the dead includes 30 people, including one child - a girl, she was 15 years old. There are reports that two children lost their parents. My condolences to all those who lost their loved ones.”
The regional governor's adviser, Natalia Babachenko, said that more than 30 people were in hospital, including 12 in a serious condition.
Moreover, between 30 to 40 people could still be trapped under the rubble, she added, as quoted by the Reuters news agency.
Meanwhile, Britain’s The Guardian newspaper reported that at least 73 people were wounded and 39 people had been rescued as of Sunday afternoon.
Forty-three people were still reported missing, according to the city government in Dnipro.
‘Number of dead will be in the dozens’
"The chances of saving people now are minimal," Dnipro's Mayor Borys Filatov said, as quoted by Reuters.
“I think the number of dead will be in the dozens," he added.
Russia claims responsibility for Saturday’s attacks
Meanwhile, the Russian defence ministry has claimed responsibility for Saturday’s strikes, news outlets reported.
In a statement posted to the Telegram messaging service, the ministry said: “All designated targets have been hit. The goal of the attack has been achieved.”
Putin says ‘military operation’ going well in Ukraine
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that his country’s “military operation” in Ukraine has gained “a positive momentum,” the US news channel CNBC reported.
"The dynamic is positive," Putin told Rossiya 1 state TV station. "Everything is developing within the framework of the plan of the ministry of defence and the general staff."
He added: "And I hope that our fighters will please us even more with the results of their combat."
Putin was responding to a question about fighting in the eastern Ukrainian salt-mining town of Soledar.
Russia on Friday claimed control of the town, but the claim was disputed by Kyiv, The Guardian reported.
Ukraine to receive more heavy weapons soon: NATO chief
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has said that Ukraine can expect more deliveries of heavy weaponry from the West soon.
“The recent pledges for heavy warfare equipment are important – and I expect more in the near future,” Stoltenberg told Germany’s Handelsblatt newspaper on Sunday.
Ukraine’s Western allies will consider sending battle tanks to Kyiv ahead of a meeting in Ramstein, Germany, on Friday where governments are expected to announce their latest pledges of military assistance, according to The Guardian.
Stoltenberg’s remark came after British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Sunday confirmed that his country would send 14 Challenger battle tanks to Ukraine.
On Wednesday, Poland had promised a company of German-made Leopard 2 tanks.
Meanwhile, the United States, France and Germany said they would send lighter fighting vehicles to Ukraine, Bradleys, AMX-10RCs and Marders respectively, The Economist reported.
Monday is day 327 of Russia’s war against Ukraine.
Source: president.gov.ua, Reuters, The Guardian, CNBC, ansa.it/en, The Economist